I’ve been meaning to write this post for a couple weeks. I’ve had my notes right in front of my computer keyboard — just sitting there — waiting. But other stuff kept me busy, and before I knew it, one week had gone by and then another. Now, here I am on Thursday of the third week, and I do hope that I haven’t waited so long that some readers out there have been stuck on the verge of a relationship and didn’t know whether to take the plunge or not — all because of my dastardly procrastination.
Well, finally, I am getting this information onto the great Internet information highway. I hope it’s helpful to a few — maybe even several — people who have been looking for love, but weren’t sure what the real thing looked and felt like.Some will agree with me. Some will not. But here are two lists that I think are pretty close to the mark.
You know you’re in love when …
1. You think about the person all the time.
2. You can’t seem to remember to do even the ordinary everyday things that you always did before getting to know the person.
3. You can’t stay focused on any one project because your mind keeps wandering to this person and keeps daydreaming about him/her.
4. Every time you experience something beautiful or good your first thought is that you want to share it with this person.
5. Every time you experience something hurtful or difficult, you want to run and tell him/her.
6. You’d rather be in this person’s presence than anywhere else in the world.
7. When you’re together, you feel that you two are in your own private world and that you don’t really need anybody else.
8. You constantly want to give to this person — give of your time, your energy, your material possessions. You’re eager to buy gifts for this person, to help him/her do his work, to create and plan things and events that will delight him/her.
9. You realize that this person’s welfare and happiness are much more important to you than your own.
Okay, so after studying this list, you have decided that you are indeed in love with the person in question. Now what do you do about it? Well, don’t do anything at all until you’ve studied this next list:
You know it’s SAFE to love this person because …
1. You know in your heart — and from practical experience — that you can trust this person. He/She has kept your confidences, been totally honest on all fronts, and has actively taken your side in any conflict or attack that could mean hurt to you.
2. You know in your heart — based on this person’s actions and treatment of you — that he/she will never deliberately hurt you — in fact will go out of his/her way to keep from hurting you — and will cherish and guard your love and your welfare above everything else in his/her life. No other individuals or their opinions affect this person’s feelings for and treatment of you.
3. This person makes you want to be the very best person you can be in all areas of your life. He/she constantly draws out of you your best thoughts, feelings and behavior.
4. This person always makes you feel valuable and worthy of love.
5. This person adds good to your life and enriches you and your life. He/she does not deplete any part of you — or make you feel as if you’re lacking or failing to measure up somehow.
6. This person puts your welfare and happiness above his/her own. When decisions are to be made, he/she bases those decisions on how the outcome will affect you before considering how it will effect himself/herself.
Taking action based on the results of both lists:
If all the descriptions in list # 1 match you — but very few of the descriptions in list # 2 match the person you believe you’re in love with — RUN — DON’T WALK — RUN from any development of a closer relationship.
On the other hand, if all the descriptions in list # 1 match you — and all the descriptions in list # 2 match the person you believe you’re in love with — GRAB HIM — or HER — AND DON’T LET GO.
Here’s to falling in love this summer ……..